Sunday, January 29, 2012

Akele hum akele tum

Tonight we raised a toast of mirinda (in my case spiked with a little rum) to our success in pulling of a week of RRS's visit to south america without compromising on any of the activities that make a regular week for the remaining two of us in Chennai. Above all we made it with a grand and frankly speaking unbelievable score of 7 for 2. 7 for the number of days and 2 for the number of 'fusses' as counted by RRJ so no chance of fudging that data. Only one trump card, an IPL team jersey, was used.

Just a month ago I was sipping Mai Tei in Hawaii and stating the obvious to myself "US is just too far, not just geographically but also the life one leads there has absolutely no connection with the life we lead in India. It is still not that small a world. And while it is great that it is the home of my siblings, but it is also sadly evident that what future holds for us is a virtual bond that we will share through photos, skype and emails about our respective lives which will make less and less sense to each other as time moves on. But that is life so embrace it and head home to people who are part of the everyday present." Up on landing, there was my present, waiting for me holding each others hand, the little face leaning side ward to get a view of me and on eye-contact breaking into a smile that just makes me the happiest person on the face of earth. And on reaching home the door being opened by my beaming parents who are also now a frequent part of my present. It is all for real.

Coming to the point, the score in my absence was 7-8. So you see, RRS arrives tomorrow morning little knowing the absolutely stunning upset pulled off by the underdog parent.

3 comments:

Ludwig said...

"US is just too far...But that is life so embrace it and head home to people who are part of the everyday present."

This is very well put. Poignant, if not explicitly sad. But the smilers and door-openers and woodpeckers on Sunday morning runs help...

Preeti Aghalayam aka kbpm said...

I am on day 2. And nearly collapsing. Need a nap. Or a drink. Or both.

Bannu said...

Ludwig: Aha woodpeckers on morning runs- I am yet to discover those! Evening runs have there share- the human form emptying its bladder on the sides of the road :)

kbpm: Good to hear that the spirits are high and one day less. How many more left though?